Did you know milk is one of the most nutrient-rich beverages you can find? And that there are thousands of studies that have documented the benefits of drinking milk? That's why nutrition experts recommend adults drink 3 servings of milk and milk products a day. Yet, most Americans fall short of the USDA's recommended daily servings. So, before you think about skipping your milk, here are five reasons to grab a glass.
1. It's a Nutrient Powerhouse. No matter your age, it's hard to get the nutrients you need without milk in your diet. Milk is the top food source for three out of four "nutrients of concern" - nutrients Americans are most lacking - including calcium, vitamin D and potassium. All milk - fat free, lowfat or organic - has 9 essential nutrients, including B vitamins for energy, vitamin A for a healthy immune system plus several bone-building nutrients.
2. It Ups the Protein Ante in the Morning. While many experts now recommend 25-30 grams of protein at each meal, the average breakfast plate only contains 13 grams. One way to help close the gap is to add an 8-ounce glass of milk to your eggs or Greek yogurt - that adds an extra 8 grams of high-quality protein!
3. Protein Power for Your Dollar. Milk is one of the best protein bargains for your dollar. For about 25 cents per glass, milk packs 8 grams of protein in every 8-ounce glass. This calculates to around 32 grams of high-quality protein per dollar! That's a big protein bang for your buck.
4. It is Not Easily Replaced. It's hard to get the nutrients you need without real dairy milk in your diet. The truth is, not all non-dairy milks have the same nutrients as real milk so it's important to know what you are getting in each glass. For instance, dairy milk has 8 times the protein of almond milk and rice milks, which can contain a long list of ingredients, including added sugar, salt and thickeners.
5. It's Wholesome, Real and Local. Milk is one of the original farm-to-table foods. Did you know 97 percent of dairy farms are still family-owned and operated? Little handling is done from farm to fridge - and that's why you can trust the milk you buy at the store is safe and wholesome.
This quinoa oatmeal serves up 13 grams of protein. Pair with an 8-ounce glass of milk to get 21 grams of protein power to start your day! Visit MilkLife.com for more recipes.